Wednesday, February 03, 2010

quote/unquote ...


"He's treated better than the average child in Pennsylvania."
-- William Deeley, responding to animal rights critics who think the groundhog is mistreated

"The cynics are right nine times out of ten."
-- H. L. Mencken

"Remember always that all of us, and you and I especially, are descended from immigrants and revolutionists."
--- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, 1938, to the Daughters of the American Revolution

"If my doctor pronounces me brain dead, I would like to see the new Ashton Kutcher movie."
--- Paul Rudnick, "My Living Will", New Yorker 2005

"F**king retarded."
-- reported statement by presidential Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel to liberal groups and White House aides in August when some wanted attack ads vs. conservative Democrats

"It was, of course, a miserable childhood. The happy childhood is hardly worth your while."
-- Frank McCourt, author of "Angela's Ashes," who died in 2009

"I felt so bad for the guy surrounded by reporters like he was, I think I accidentally made him feel worse with my question. I personally just don’t care that much the poor guy was caught with his pants down in a photo that Oden says is about 18 months old and was supposed to be private. So I apologize, and I'm deeply embarrassed to say I actually asked Oden the following question while television cameras were rolling: 'Why are you embarrassed? A lot of people are impressed.' I couldn't tell from the impassive look he gave me if he wanted to laugh, run or strangle me. But, pro that he is, he answered the question the only way the 24-hour news cycle allows. He repeated how embarrassed he was."
-- the Willamette Week, on Greg Oden (7 foot, 285 pound Portland Trailblazer center) having nude photos he gave a girl friend posted on a website

"It is better to have a permanent income than to be fascinating."
--- Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)


(Editor's note: quote/unquote is compiled by Wilson in St. Louis.)

No comments: