Monday, June 16, 2008

The oldest living Major Leaguer

If you'd imagine that Bill Werber, who once played with Ruth, Gehrig and many others during his Major League baseball career, has a few stories to tell, you'd be right.

Here's one of them about how the pitcher Lefty Grove impressed a scout, as related by Dave Sheinen in the Washington Post:

"The scout, Ira Thomas, goes out into the woods to look for him, and eventually, here comes this tall, rawboned guy. And he's got squirrel tails tied around his belt, with the heads hanging down. So the first question Ira Thomas asks him is, 'Are you Lefty Grove?'

"And Lefty says, 'I be.'

"He said, 'Well, where's your gun.'

" 'I don't use no gun.'

"He said, 'Well, how do you kill the squirrels?'

" 'I kill them with rocks.'

"He says, 'I don't believe you.'

"And Lefty says, 'Well, you see that insulator on that crossbar?' And he takes one of the rocks from his pocket, and throws it with his right hand -- and the glass just shatters in all directions.

"And Thomas is amazed, but he says, 'I thought you were a left-hander.'

"He says, 'I am. But when I throw it left-handed, I tear them all up.' "

1 comment:

Charles Kuffner said...

Many years ago, in a book written by an old-time sports writer (published circa 1950), I read this exact story, except it was about Dizzy Dean. Nothing like a baseball legend!