Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Discovering a gem in the 'sphere

Once in a while, cruising through the Blogosphere, you'll bump into a delightful read that provides a welcome respite from the snark, politics and media criticism to which I am usually drawn.

That happened yesterday. I was looking at my site meter and noticed "cousinflora.blogspot.com".

I clicked on the blog, which is unfortunately titled "Miscellaneous Shellfish."

The "cousin flora" part of the URL is an homage to a favorite movie of the writer's -- "Cold Comfort Farm" -- which is one of MY favorite funny movies, so, of course, I was interested in reading.

Since the writer just started the blog, and only has 6 or 7 posts so far, may I suggest reading it from the bottom up, rather than the top down. Since this woman started blogging as she prepared for a trip to Argentina, it's a travelogue, in essence.

After reading it, it made me think about what Kevin Whited at PubliusTx and BlogHouston had written around the first of the year; one of his New Year's resolutions was to try to read more books this year and ease off on the Internet, which tends to take up a lot of your reading time. I sort of feel the same way. My book reading habits, which always have gone up and down in manic spurts, really began suffering once I became obsessive/compulsive about the Blogosphere.

Even so, when you read the blog such as the one I'm describing, you come away with the feeling that there really is good writing out in the 'sphere. You just have to be lucky sometimes and stumble across it.
Miscellaneous Shellfish

No comments: