Wednesday, May 19, 2010

quote/unquote ...

"The life so short, the art so long to learn, opportunity fleeting, experience treacherous, judgement difficult."
--- Hippocrates (circa 460-357 B.C.), on medicine

"I'm six foot eleven. My birthday covers three days."
--- Darryl Dawkins

"Let us all be happy, and live within our means, even if we have to borrow the money to do it with."
--- Artemus Ward aka Charles Farmer Browne (1834-1867)

"You should know that I had problems at the end of my career as a player here and I don't know if you know that someone [put] a rifle at my head and tied me up and tied up my wife in front of the children at our flat in Barcelona. . . .The children were going to school accompanied by the police. The police slept in our house for three or four months. I was going to matches with a bodyguard....All these things change your point of view towards many things. There are moments in life in which there are other values. We wanted to stop this and be a little more sensible. It was the moment to leave football and I couldn't play in the World Cup after this."
-- Johan Cruyff about how a kidnapping attempt made him decide not to play in the 1978 World Cup, when Holland lost the final to Argentina, 3-1. http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/apr/17/newsstory.sport

(Editor's Note: quote/unquote is compiled assiduously every week by Wilson, a son of St. Louis.)

No comments: