Wednesday, March 10, 2010

quote/unquote ...


"The plan is to borrow money and let some bills go unpaid."
-- radio report March 10 about Illinois state government budget crisis

"Porto are caught offside! There you go, another example of the ridiculous misuse of an exclamation mark in the modern world."
-- Paul Doyle, Manchester Guardian, in the 28th minute of the minute by minute account online of Arsenal's 5-0 win over Porto, of Portugal, Tuesday, March 9.

"Anybody who has survived childhood has enough information about life to last him the rest of his days."
--- Flannery O'Connor (1925-1964)

"I probably couldn't play for me. I wouldn't like my attitude."
--- John Thompson, former Georgetown basketball coach

"I have another objection: and that is, it is unjust that I should suffer such a penalty. Had I interfered in the manner which I admit . . .had I so interfered in behalf of the rich, the powerful, the intelligent, the so-called great, or in behalf of their children, or any of that class, and suffered and sacrificed what I have in this interference, it would have been all right, and every man in this Court would have deemed it an act worthy of reward rather than punishment."
--- last speech in court by John Brown, pictured, Nov. 2, 1859, before being sentenced to execution.


(Aggregated in St. Louis by Wilson.)

No comments: