Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Rex Ryan, he's got it goin' on

I'm liking this guy Rex Ryan, head coach of the NY Jets and son of Buddy, perhaps best known by Houston football fans for throwin' a haymaker on the sidelines at fellow coach Kevin Gilbride back in the Oiler days.

Rex showed Houston Texans Coach Gary Kubiak what for last week, and now he's pressing all the buttons available to him to try to make it two-in-a-row this week, according to the Newark Star-Ledger:

Hoping to pump up the Jets fan base, coach Rex Ryan left season ticket holders an unexpected voicemail message Wednesday morning. The rookie coach asked the diehards for support in Sunday's home opener against the Patriots. "Hey. It's Rex Ryan, the head coach of the New York Jets. I just want to let you know how much we need you this week. I've already admitted that, hey, the Patriots have a better head coach and they got a better quarterback than us. But we're going to see who's got a better team. And the other part , the reason that I'm so confident is that they got to face you and they got to face the rest of our fans. My challenge to you is that we need you at your best. So come get ready to go for four quarters, get after them, especially when our defense is out there. We really need you. We want it to be miserable for Brady and company. And seem like there's 13 or 14 guys out there on defense. It's tough enough when we just have 11. But when our fans are into it, it's almost impossible to do anything against us. So that's my challenge to you. Again, I admit that I'm not as good as Belichick. But at the end of the game, I want to be 1-0 against him. So help me out if you don't mind. So that's my challenge. Okay? Thank you. Bye." After practice, Ryan reiterated his desire to have a true home field advantage. "We're looking to get an edge anywhere," Ryan said Wednesday afternoon. "You want to make it a rough place to play."

No comments: