Thursday, August 20, 2009

Quote/Unquote


"Trying to have a conversation with you would be like trying to have a conversation with a dining room table. I have no interest in doing it."
-- Rep. Barney Frank to a town hall opponent of health care reform who showed up with a photo of Barack Obama altered to look like Adolf Hitler
 
"Protection, therefore, against the tyranny of the magistrate is not enough; there needs to be protection also against the tyranny of the prevailing opinion and feeling."
                             --- from "On Liberty" by John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)
 
"I saw everything. There was a hole in the door that closed off my room from the living room. I used to always — my little bad self — peek through that little hole and see my mom and the whole neighborhood. My grandmom worked the graveyard shift, and everybody knew that after she left and the kids were in bed, the party was at our house. Every night. Smoking, dancing, having sex, and there I was, couldn't sleep for the noise, looking through that little hole at a strange world, man. People so strung out that they're stuttering, a-a-a-a-a-a. I didn't know what strung out was, but I knew they were strung out. That was my window on the world. And I thought to myself, I don't know what else is gonna happen to me, but I do not want to be like that."
                   -- Vince Young, in current issue of Esquire, about his youth
 
"Soccer for me is fun. You have to see your life in a serious manner, always in a committed way, a rational way. But it's got to be fun. Imagine if I always came here with an angry look on my face. My day wouldn't be good. Life is too short for us to live it sadly. If God gave us this gift of living, while you're living, you've got to live happily. I think that's why I sleep little. If it's 24 hours, I prefer to enjoy 18."
      -- Jorge Barcellos, Brazilian) coach of the St. Louis Athletica, women's pro soccer team


(quotes provided by Wilson in St. Louis)

No comments: