Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Two surprises on the Facebook: one from a relative and another involving a letter from an Alamo martyr


Facebook is OK. Just OK. Not as much fun as Twitter.

But once in a while, Facebook'll surprise you, so I guess I'll stay on it.

For instance, just a few days ago, a relative of mine announced on FB she had found the son she had given up for adoption 40 years ago.

Son? 40 years ago? Whaaaa?

She posted pictures of him and his wife and his daughter and seemed quite emotionally moved (and happy) by it all. And I don't blame her.

I never knew about it and doubt many others in the extended family did either. (I could be wrong; it doesn't matter anyway)

Hey, thanks for the info Facebook.

If my mother was alive, I guess I mighta called her and said, "Hey, Mom, did you know that ..."

Then I woulda had to explain Facebook to her, which mighta been a mighty task, but since she's not around, I guess I'll just let Facebook spread this news to whomever, since I don't feel like talkin on the phone to anyone else.

OK.

And now, just a few minutes ago, I find out a former co-worker, Marla Cloud Molony, had a distant relative who died at the Alamo.

Not only that, but she posted a link to a letter her relative wrote that is part of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas Library at the Alamo.

As Marla explained on her FB entry: "Here is a copy of a letter written by my ancestor, Daniel William Cloud, that is on display at the Alamo."

(see pic of letter above)

Here's the link she posted.

So, without being on Facebook, it's quite possible, probably quite likely, I never would have come into possession of these two nuggets of information, as I haven't spoken face-to-face with either my relative or my former coworker for many years now, and I doubt either would have e-mailed me or telephoned to say what they said on FB.

So thanks Facebook. I guess I'll stay on you.

No comments: