Thursday, September 25, 2008

A bourgeois, micro view of our faltering economy

I have two personal examples experienced within the last 24 hours.

At Outback Steakhouse, where I haven't dined in a couple months, I ordered a house salad. It had to be 20 percent smaller. I said nothing in the way of a complaint and otherwise enjoyed the meal.

At Panera Bread, I ordered a pecan braid pastry. Again, obviously smaller than in previous outings. Perhaps 15 percent smaller. I noted the smaller size to the woman behind the counter. She said, "Oh, it depends on the baker." Yeah, right.

I really shouldn't be surprised. In times like these, merchants resort to such manuevers so they can still charge the same price as they do during the normal course of business and still make a profit.

I don't have to like it, though.

Banjo-crest OUT!

No comments: