Friday, September 23, 2005

The long & winding road

We've taken to higher ground in the Hill Country.

What normally is a 4-hour drive took 16 hours. Through Damon, Pleak, Rosenberg. On through East Bernard, Halletsville, Shiner, Luling (where they have the water melon-shaped water tower.)

I took lots of pictures. You can see a lot moving at 1 mph, and even more standing still for 20, 30 minutes. Will try to post those here or the photoblog at some point, with a fuller travelogue, but not now.

The most interesting interlude occurred on Spur 10, off US 59, trying to reach Hwy 90 A. I was walking Max the Bassett Hound, after he managed to make an utter mess of things in the Brazosport Newsmobile. (Traffic was at a standstill, after all.) There was, I'm sure, a look of dismay on my sunburned visage. A woman walking her mutt happened by and said, "How's it going?"

"Not good."

She said she gave her dog a little medication for the trip. She gave it a nickname, but I can't remember what it was, cause I'd been up for about the last 36 hours, moving furniture to the 2nd floor (or placing it on upside-down large clay pots that I moved indoors), boarding up windows, swilling coffee and chain-smoking.

Anyway, she said the little pill she gave her dog was Dramamine. "You know, for motion sickness."

Got any more?

She hustled back to her car some 50 yards away and hustled back. "Break it half and just give him one."

Max slept the rest of the way. Dramamine. Hell of a good drug. I saved the other half for the ride home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It also works well on your wife or significant other!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you and yours made it through the storm in good order.